Friday, August 12, 2011

Le Stubborn Artiste

All through my career as a struggling songwriter, I've been told by various people to write something in the style that's popular at the moment.  Get a hit & then with that success you can do whatever you want.  I suppose that's a viable philosophy, but then I would've had to write in the styles of hard rock, bubble gum, disco, punk, heavy metal, reggae, rap, etc.  Well, that just wasn't gonna happen.  I do love writing in different styles, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I insisted on continuing to write music the way I heard it.  I mean, we all have our influences & exist in the ebb & flow stemming from those influences.  I was & am heavily influenced by artists like the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder & Motown, Sting, Little Feat, Neville Brothers, to name a few, & especially the Greatful Dead along with all the country rock bands of that time.  This is what I looked like then around 1972:
Go figure.

I guess I've read enough statements from other artists over the years who've said that being true to your own path brings success because it's sincere & truthful. Consequently, people will feel that essence coming from your work.  This gave me enough support to keep going despite all the rejection letters & lack of funds.

I love the quote from Shakespeare (Hamlet): 'Nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so'.   Amen.

Believe in yourself.  To thine own heart be true.  Need I say more?  Perhaps tomorrow.

See ya's


1 comment:

  1. Love the photo! (and the blog)! It's so nice to read your honest musings on songwriting and life.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Please feel free to comment on the blog. We're all in this together.

Thanks!